Sunday 1 March 2009

Carnage Hill... worth the fun???


Carnage Hill (NZ's main tourist attraction) was the finish chute for a competition held in Woodhill forest in New Zealand in around 2004 (If I remember correctly). It is so named for all of the carnage seen that day... novice sandy face-plants... elite pile-ups... veteran barrel rolls... and a lot of geriatric gumbiness.
The organizers of the event so enjoyed the days' knee slappers that they organized a post race finish sprint competition (with Sport Ident) among the runners with the fastest finish splits from the day (I'm the one in the blue and yellow shirt)... I think it was won by our very own NZ team member Chris Forne... but I could be wrong, my memory is not the best... However, I don't have to remember the antics of that day, the bloopers are permanently burnt into my retinae.
Digging up this video got me to wondering... was making a crazy video for others really worth the relentless slaughtering of my body?? Could I put my knee problems of the last few years down to carnage hill??? Or perhaps from the other unnecessary sand dune jumping done for cheap thrills over the years??

Hmmmm... I think the pain is more likely from running over 100kms week after week. I'd prefer it was from that, rather than having to admit to myself that just for a few minutes of 'hang time' in my youth, my whimsical actions will have me shuffling round the M50 courses with a zimmer-frame while I watch my more conservative rivals lope on by.


... I reckon that when they get around to having WOC in NZ with the carnage hill finish I'll do it all again :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yo Ross, it was Michael Tagg who was fastest down Carnage Hill on the second day although Paul had the best face-plant by far. Hope it wasn't the cause of your sore knees, I'll never forgive myself:-(

Dave said...

I know the reason my knee doesn't work is doing dumbass things like that .. definately not training.
No regrets.. but would be nice to be able to run around the block..

bathmate said...

www.bathmateus.com
I like it !!!
Good posting !!!
Nice posting !!!